Saturday, May 10, 2008

Repertoire Practice Log

This week I dragged out this repertoire practice chart that I often use for intermediate to advanced students. It's fabulous how one week of half speed practice can whip their rough spots into shape. At first, no one thinks they can play at a speed of 60 per quarter or below. (My teacher said to me once that in her doctoral studies her professor made everyone play their pieces at 40 to the q.) After we've done it together at that speed (60-65) 3 times I ask the student what they think now. They always say, "It's easier." Seems like a lightbulb comes on. I can't claim this idea, though. I got it in a handout on teaching intermediate students from Mary Beth Shaffer. Thanks to her, my students will be much better prepared for their recitals in two weeks. (BTW, it works with younger students, too.)

REPERTOIRE PRACTICE LOG


M

T

W

TH

F

SA

SU

TOTAL

1/2 speed met.=









3/4 speed met.=









Practice Spots









A tempo met.=









Other









No comments:

Post a Comment